CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Bad Tooth Fairy, Bad Fairy

So, Sunday night my 5 year old lost his first tooth. He was so excited for the tooth fairy to come to our house for the first time ever. We put his little, first, baby tooth under The Good Fairy--a statue from the 1917(?) World's Fair that was used in my grandmother's, mother's, my, and now our home for the same purpose of safeguarding the children's teeth until the "real" Good Fairy could spirit them away while leaving them a present in exchange.

When he woke up yesterday morning, he ran to the Good Fairy to find she had forgotten to come. My wife scrambled.

"We just moved the Good Fairy yesterday when we were decorating for Christmas didn't we? Perhaps she had a hard time finding it."

I got in on the action. "Also, it was stormy last night. Perhaps she had a hard time getting everywhere. She's probably just a little late."

Our speculations proved true. The Tooth Fairy did come that day--while my boy was at school and while mom was at the store. I knew she didn't forget.

3 comments:

Soozcat said...

I remember your fairy! Here's what I've found out about her:

She was created in 1916 by a Chicago dollmaker named Jessie McCutcheon-Raleigh. She is made of spelter (a fancy word for zinc) and covered in cream-colored paint. Some versions of her were covered in bronze instead.

Annnd there's your Useless Trivia for the day!

Chesno Slova said...

Good info Sooz. Jon has been looking for one for his family and did find one on eBay a couple months ago that was the bronze colour and sold for about $350. He wasnts the white one.

When we lived in Albuquerque, Jenn had a ticket to Antiques Roadshow. The only thing she had to take was the Good Fairy. The appraiser rolled his eyes when he saw it coming and explained that he sees a couple of them at every show. He then asked if it has sentimental value becuase it was only worth about $50.

If they are so readily available, how come we can't find one for sale, and when we do, it isn't $50, but at least 7x that amount? For $50 I would buy one for each of my siblings.

Soozcat said...

I seem to recall that there were reproduction Good Fairies being sold a few years ago as garden statuary, but I can't find the site now. Wouldn't you know it...

Well, if she was popular, perhaps I can keep my eye out for her at the occasional estate sale. You never know.