CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Murrah Federal Building



Two weekends ago I went up to Oklahoma City to visit Dan (good friend growing up) and Becca (step sister). We saw the sites there (read: Bass Pro Shop, downtown drinking district, and worlds first Sonic Drive-in). Most importantly we went and saw the memorial for the Murrah Building bombing.

I was on my mission in Ukraine when it happened so I never really heard much about it. Didn't even really learn that much while I was there as they charge an arm and a leg to go through the museum to heaven forbid, learn something. I did get a feel for the place though and sometimes that means more.

In the picture above you see the "chairs" representing each person who lost his/her life there. I didn't realize that they are sitting where the buidling was. I didn't realize they tore down the building and these trees are planted essentially in it's basement. The foundation in places is still in place and the site even though downtown was surprisingly tranquil on a freezing cold Saturday.

I found most haunting was a small area in front of where the building was. There were stairs and sitting areas, and places to hang out that were all original to the building including signs from 14 years ago which when you say it that way doesn't sound so long ago. However, there was a small grassy are there that was fenced off with a 4' fence. A sign read something like this: "This area was the playground for the children who attended day care at the building. Several of them died on the day of the blast." Now, go hug your children.

2 comments:

The Hansen Family said...

Emma broke down and hugged the heck out of Ethan after reading that while we were there.
Count our many many many many blessings.

Chuckleheads said...

Wow...terribly sad. We just watched a movie with this bombing as a central plot...I think it probably really makes it more real when you are at the actual site... I know it did when I was at Ground Zero in NYC.