CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Chesno Easter


I haven't written in a little while because my family took a trip to visit my brother in Boise and then I had a business trip to leave on within an hour of returning. We were there for Easter on the 16th and my 31st birthday on the 17th.

My brother and I come from a family of great cooks. That is what we were looking forward to doing during the visit--cooking together. For Easter dinner after church we made a garlic and fresh rosemary-studded pork loin, mashed potatoes, apple gravy, homemade dill and onion bread, and steamed green beans. I am used to cooking for literally an Army, so I think I may have gone overboard. Evidently, three young girls and two small boys don't each eat a pound of potatoes.

For desert Jon made me his own recipe of dense chocolate cake in four layers with alternating almond paste and seedless raspberry jam all topped with mountains of chocolate frosting.

The easter bunny also showed up and delivered all kinds of treats to the kids. By strange coincidence the adults all found out that sour Starburst jelly beans are about the best easter candy ever made and those nasty Peeps and Cadbury Creme Eggs don't hold a candle to the sour beany goodness Starburst created.

Most importantly, Jon and I were able to talk like adult siblings and friends. This doesn't happen too often as when we are together it is usually in a setting where we are trying to hold the family together and create an environment that (somewhat), resembles holidays of our youth. If not for anything else, that part made the trip a success.

0 comments: