CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Chesno Varenchiki


This last Sunday my wife, son, and I went to a friend's house for dinner. The house we went to was that of some Ukrainian friends of mine that I knew while I lived in Odessa on the Black Sea. It was mostly a chance to catch up on old friends, and laugh about how rusty my Russian is (as I haven't really spoken in 10 years).

More than all that though, it was a chance for me to gorge myself on the wonderful cuisine of Ukraine including borsch, golopsi, tvorog, and most importantly vareniki s'myasom. The food really is wonderful as long as you stay away from the cold meat jello (holodetz), blood sausages, and raw meatless bacon (salo).

We had a great time, stayed more than 6(!) hours, stuffed ourselves, and I began to bring my Russian back. All in all it was a great night. Plus, we were sent home with enough leftovers that I was able to enjoy it all over again yesterday for both lunch and dinner.

1 comments:

Soozcat said...

I have had little to no Ukrainian food, though I have had one or two dishes from Russia. Vareniki looks intriguing.