CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Separation


Yesterday I had the opportunity to separate church and state. I did not.

I was asked to give a 30 minute talk to about 75 first graders about what Christmas is like in Ukraine (where I lived for 2 years). Did you get that? What Christmas is like in Ukraine.


I began by teaching them how to greet people in Ukrainian at Christmastime. Translated in English it goes like this:


Me: "Boys and girls, Christ is born!"


They respond: "Glorify Him!"


Nice.


I made sure they knew the holy Christmas dinner began after the first star was seen to symbolize the Star of Bethlehem. Straw is spread around and on the table to remember Christ was born in a stable. And, an extra plate is placed on the table for Christ to partake should He come.


With all of the "Up on the rooftops . . . " and " I saw mommy kissing Santa Clauses" and "Frosty the Snowmans" that there should be some "Boh Prednivechnys" (God Eternal).


Vospetye Yevo! (Glorify Him!)

0 comments: