CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Chesno Weekend


I had an eventful weekend a couple days ago. I am in the Army National Guard and spent 2.5 days in drill with my fellow brothers-at-arms. A good amount of the time I spent in the snow out on firing ranges shooting and blowing things up with a 50 caliber machine gun and 40mm (m203) grenade launcher. It was literally a blast. Can't believe I got paid for that.

The really crazy stuff came about on Sunday when we were all briefed by the general. He confirmed that we are currently slotted for a deployment to Afghanistan this summer. I won't give all the details as most of it is still classified. However, it would be a training mission of the Afghan National Army where we would be split up into training groups to basically teach them to be soldiers. Only soldiers with sufficient rank will be allowed to go on this deployment and I am one they are interested in taking especially since I have experience in Iraq.

They can't take me though. At least not for longer than 9 months, then I would have to volunteer to extend for the full 14 months. You see, there is a rule that a reservist cannot be deployed longer than 24 out of 60 months. I have already been gone 15 of my current 60 month time period. That's why I could not be taken any more than 9 months unless I volunteered.

For a minute I considered volunteering--not without discussing it with my wife of course. It's funny. I've been home now nearly a year, but I have this itch that it's time to leave again. Plus, this sounds like a great mission. Also, I haven't seen Afghanistan yet.

While discussing it with my wife, I said, "Well, I guess me being home when the baby is born is more important than [some monetary gain we would get]."

Her response, "Do you want to say that again and this time leave out 'I guess'?"

0 comments: