CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 23, 2006

"Officially" Chesno


It’s official. Spring is here. It doesn’t feel like it too much and my land is soaked, but it is here . . . “officially” at least.

I don’t really like that whole “officially” thing. Either something is here or it isn’t. It is done or it isn’t. It is dead or it isn’t. What is the deal with someone being officially blind, but still able to drive a car? Do they need an “official driver’s license”? How come sports teams and Disney need to “officially” license their merchandise? Isn’t it good enough to license it? Doesn’t licensing something imply that it was done officially? Are there other levels of licensing such as:

1. Cheap, Asian-made (redundant, I know) bootlegged licensing.
2. NY street-corner American bootlegged licensing.
3. Corporate back-alley, non-official licensing.
4. Official licensing.

In any case, in Northern Utah, spring is officially here in the same sense that Brokeback Mountain was officially a box office success ($82M in 15 weeks ain't no success). I just don’t believe either . So, in the meantime, I have raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, boysenberries, gooseberries, currants, grapes, and more waiting inside by the window to go out, much like my dog when he thinks he sees the slightest movement outdoors.

So, last night I said, “The heck with it.” Well, not really. Who says that? I bought an indoor seed germinator and as a family we sat down to a fun night of planting gourds, white pumpkins, small pumpkins, butternut squash, acorn squash, sunflowers, cantaloupe, and cabbage. I guess you can say I “officially” planted my garden . . . indoors.

3 comments:

Captain Midnight said...

I have a problem with an equinox or solstice as the "official" beginning of any of the seasons. All that means is that we hit a mid or end point of our orbit around the sun.

In my book, a season starts when the weather changes. If the general trend is for warmer days, we are moving into Spring, or as it is known in this area, Hayfever Season.

I also grouse about defining 6pm as the beginning of "evening." In my book, when the sun goes down, it has become evening. When the sun comes up, it is now morning. If you get up before the sun does, it is not morning. The technical term for that part of the day is "too friggin' early."

Chesno Slova said...

See, you get it. Now how come other people can't?

Soozcat said...

Maybe "officially" is another way of saying "anything that isn't outwardly obvious, but must be formally recognized." As in "officially spring" when there's still three feet of snow outside.

I call B.S. on this practice! It's spring when we say so, dammit!